Subject: Re: hardware advise ( Samba file server )
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@intostroy.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2006 11:16:48
On 03/05/06, Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@intostroy.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 May 2006 14:53:56 +0100 Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > If the aim is to serve files from a NetBSD server to M$ Windows clients=
,
> > is option 1) of
> >
> > 1) samba              "ordinary" cifs client
> > 2) apache/webdav      webfolder
> > 3) iscsi-target       iscsi-initiator
> > 4) others?
> >
> > definitely the best? (I would guess so, but I don't know 3) at all for
> > instance)
>
> You may also add an NFS support using MS SFU on Windows machines.

...if you are prepared to fight with the authentication problems - I
still haven't been able to setup properly a W2K3 server in a NT4
domain to interoperate with Unix boxes on NIS. The mount works fine,
any attempt to access the directories results in denial:

 ci@loan8> ls /net/athlonsvr
Public ci
ci@loan8> ls /net/athlonsvr/ci
ls: ci: Permission denied
[1] ci@loan8> ls -ld /net/athlonsvr/ci
drwx------  2 ci  support  64 Apr  5 13:34 /net/athlonsvr/ci
ci@loan8> id
uid=3D101(ci) gid=3D27(support) groups=3D0(wheel),27(support)

(but that ofcourse is the other way around - the Windows machine
serves; the client seems to be working).