Subject: Re: hardware advise ( Samba file server )
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/02/2006 14:53:56
On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 06:49:56AM +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> If you are going to serve files, I would definitely mirror disks given
> the low cost of disks these days. Save on CPU/RAM get 2 disks. :)
>
> If you are only doing SAMBA, you don't need more than 512MB of RAM. 2GB
> is way overkill. If your SAMBA file server is not running X11, you can
> even get away safely with only 256 MB of RAM (NetBSD is a very slim OS).
>
> Since you are doing SAMBA, your bottleneck will not be CPU but rather
> the Windows machines you are serving on the other side. You will most
> likely not get more than 200kbps on the Windows machines... so you can
> easily get away with even less than a 2GHz CPU. Get the cheapest CPU you
> can find. (I have a preference for AMD).

If the aim is to serve files from a NetBSD server to M$ Windows clients,
is option 1) of

1) samba              "ordinary" cifs client
2) apache/webdav      webfolder
3) iscsi-target       iscsi-initiator
4) others?

definitely the best? (I would guess so, but I don't know 3) at all for
instance)

Cheers,

Patrick