Subject: Re: Pedition for NetBSD Nvidia driver
To: Karim Forsthofer <kforstho@email2me.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2006 12:02:22
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Karim Forsthofer wrote:

> Personally I have enough seeing my favorite OS without working 3D
> acceleration like Linux or FreeBSD. NetBSD users have to stand together

I don't use or really know much about 3D acceleration. (I have a 3dfx
Banshee though.) If anyone else is interested, I found some webpages with
generic information...

I see that wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_acceleration) says
this helps with "display of complex 3D graphics in real-time".

And I found other definitions at
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/video/3dNeed-c.html and
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml.

Does anyone know of any stats or benchmarks that show performance boost?
(What am I missing? :)

I see that the NetBSD projects webpage at
http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html lists two related projects.
They are short on details though.

By the way, are there better alternatives to Nvidia that are more open,
non-proprietary?

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'