Subject: Re: `make update' not without problems... :\
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2006 16:46:11
It occurred to me that Magnus Eriksson wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
>    And from now on, always use the "package" target when installing
> something, it'll save you trouble later on.  If... sorry, *when* the
> recommended tool of the week trashes your installed packages, you can at
> least reinstall them via "bin-install" (or even pkg_add), without having
> to recompile all of them again.

In that light, setting DEPENDS_TARGET to "package" in /etc/mk.conf helps.
'make package' will only package the current package. If any dependencies
need to be installed, they will not be packaged, AFAIK.

And yes, to top it off: using pkg_comp or any other chroot environment to
build your updated binary packages trims it off. But still, it's far from
perfect.