Subject: Re: `make update' not without problems... :\
To: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2006 14:01:37
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Brian McEwen wrote:

>> It did remove about 100 packages, which I wasn't going to update -
>> packages,

> make update has a strange logic.  It's a good way to remove a lot of
> functionality from your system, in my experience, although it can work
> sometimes too..
>
> I posted a while back on another list; we are not alone in this experience.
>
> In the meantime, check out  pkg_tarup from pkgsrc.  Very useful before doing
> any updates!  Be sure to use the flag for dependencies.

   And from now on, always use the "package" target when installing
something, it'll save you trouble later on.  If... sorry, *when* the
recommended tool of the week trashes your installed packages, you can at
least reinstall them via "bin-install" (or even pkg_add), without having
to recompile all of them again.

MAgnus