Subject: `make update' not without problems... :\
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Zbigniew Baniewski <zb@ispid.com.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/19/2006 12:01:50
Hallo,

recently I tried to update ROX-filer to a newer version. So, I unpacked
(as root) pkgsrc "tree" (the one from 1. April), changed directory to
appropriate (/usr/src/pgsrc ... /rox), then simply typed "make". After a
while there was a report, that a newer version of glib2-2.8.4 will be
needed.

OK - I took a look into "pkgsrc.txt" doc, where I've found:

update

  This target causes the current package to be updated to the latest version.
  The package and all depending packages first get de-installed, then current
  versions of the corresponding packages get compiled and installed.

So far - so good. So, removed current version of ROX-filer with "pkg_delete
rox" (I know, it wasn't necessary), and then typed "make update", still
being in [..]/rox sub-dir. And then the whole problem began:

It did remove about 100 packages, which I wasn't going to update - packages,
which aren't "corresponding" to ROX in any way (like irssi, mc and so on).
The compilation was about 40 hours long :(( (Pentium II-400). Not all the
removed packages were rebuilt - f.e. it did remove firefox, but it didn't
update it from sources! I had to install it "manually", when I noticed, it's
not present. No idea, how many packages are still missing after such
"update" - I'm afraid, I will notice it exactly, when I'll need one of such
packages. I was trying to "tell it", that it "forgot" something, by typing
"make update" again - but then only ROX was recompiled again, while leaving
the missing packages problem untouched.

My question: did I something wrong, that instead of just update ROX (and
eventually a few corresponding libraries, that ROX's depending on), "make
update" wanted to replace about 1/3 of all the already installed packages?
And why it was done in such unclean way - I mean: some packages were removed,
but not restored in newer version anymore (like firefox)? And why it didn't
even report something like: "these packages were erased, but not built
again: *a list of missing packages*"?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski