Subject: Re: Chip vs. card compatibility
To: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2006 09:47:37
On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:16:43AM +0100, Dieter wrote:
|> No, it's not NetBSD specific
|
|A master database with info about support on Net/Free/OpenBSD and Linux
|would be useful. Bonus points for OS X, Plan9, etc.

uploading a dmesg output would make injection into a database nice and
specific:

- you can tell what a particular kernel has recognised out of the box

- you get some info on devices a kernel does not recognise

- you can ask the user pertinent questions about whether devices work

The very nice thing about the *BSD kernel boot output is that it's pretty
easily parsed - I have managed to lose my most up-to-date code, but the
following gives the general idea:

  http://www.ergonaut.org/pub/dmesg-tree/

This works for NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris.  Linux kernel boot
messages would take a lot more work to be doable, unfortunately, although
they possibly have something in /proc (afacr) which might be useful.

upload of output from lspci or similar would also be a Good Thing.  None
of these would be difficult to turn into a parsing module ...

HTH,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank