Subject: Re: Chip vs. card compatability
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2006 21:09:26
On Sun, 16 Apr 2006, Jan Danielsson wrote:

> Hello all,

Hi.  Long time no see.

>   Let's say that you're about to buy new hardware for a new computer.
> Let's hypothetically say that there's a large system compatibility
> database somewhere. Would you prefer that:

   I think you're going to have to end up with something inbetween 1 and 3,
with the specific circumstances deciding exactly where.  (I agree with
Martijn on why 2 is unlikely to work.)

   If the database is to be useful for, well, users, I think boards need to
be listed -- if you're going shopping for hardware and don't already know
everything about what you're going to buy, you want some names to keep an
eye open for.  For certain things (graphic cards?), chipset will be
enough, for other things not.

   It would also be useful, imho, to at least have some free-text "extra
info" field for when you know the implementation is weird, or you need a
specific firmware version, etc.

> Discussions, tips, ideas are welcome.
>
> (No, it's not NetBSD specific).

I have some ideas, but they'll have to wait until I can hold a cohorent
thought for more than ten seconds.  :-)

MAgnus