Subject: Re: Question about cvs
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2006 15:57:14
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:23:55PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
> >Please take a look on wip/csup - should works just perfectly.
>
> why the name change?
>
> I see http://pkgsrc.se/wip/csup is that site available by
> anon cvs? ...oh I guess it isn't a repo.
>
> Another question relating to the original post, to
> update an existing cvs checkout we can use
>
>  cd /usr/pkgsrc && cvs -q upd -dP
>
> to get an initial checkout, or change revision of an
> existing checkout, we can use
>
>  cd /usr && cvs -qd $CVSROOT co -r pkgsrc-2006Q1 -AP pkgsrc
>
> however, we can only reliably checkout newer
> revisions; to move backward, we should checkout the
> entire tree in an empty directory (eg to try a HEAD
> build, then go back). Is that correct?

I'm not sure I understand your question. In fact, you should only checkout to
in an empty directory. Once you have a CVS tree, you can update using
cvs -q -d $CVSROOT up -dPA -r pkgsrc-<QNAME>
(the -A will make sure you reset any sticky tags)
to get the HEAD, just do
cvs -q -d $CVSROOT up -dPA

this way you can update a branch, or move from one branch to another.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>