Subject: Re: which live CD do you prefer?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2006 23:55:57
Hi Jeremy!

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Mark Weinem wrote:
>
> > ....I'm not against a LiveCD in general, but it should be a very
> > good one, possible to run completely from RAM and at least as cool
> > as "Damm Small Linux" or "Puppy Linux"
>
> What is cool about those?

DSL="Damm Small Linux"

First of all, I don't think that there's is a need for DSL- or
Puppy-like NetBSD-LiveCDs - LiveCDs is where Linux is very good.

They are small, run completely from RAM, ready-to-use Desktop
Systems with a small set of "handselected", modified and optimized
applications, with self-written GUIs and scripts for easy configuration,
CD/DVD-Burning, Backups & other sytem administration tasks.

Puppy delivers full multimedia support (Flash, DVD, etc.) out of the box
and "auto-session-saving" to CD or DVD. Both can easily be intalled onto
harddrives, USB-sticks, ZIPs, etc. Additional extensions and
applications can be installed. Puppy-2 will be able to run applications
from other Linux distributions and to use their package management
tools, ...

Drawbacks: No support for scsi-only Systems, only run on i386.

But how about a cool NetBSD-Xen LiveCD? With NetBSD as domo0, two NetBSD
domUs (one on virtual disk image, the other one a real partion)and one
Linux domU! A LiveDVD could also contain additional domUs with FreeBSD,
Plan9 and Solaris

Ciao, Mark Weinem