Subject: Re: which live CD do you prefer?
To: Larson, Timothy E. <TELarson@west.com>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2006 15:54:42
Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> Anybody have a preference for which NetBSD live CD is "better": the
> official NetBSD 2 Live, or NeWBIE?  I wanted to contribute a couple for
> a local upcoming "installfest" to introduce others to NetBSD, and want
> to provide the best possible "overall experience".

Recently I bought a laptop second hand, which had a blank HDD. So the easiest
thing to check it was ok, was to boot a liveCD, as it brought up the display in
a high mode (check for defect), test audio, networking devices, HDD size, memory
found and all that. Boot/Install Windows is a 2 hours process.

About the only thing I missed was a "Install this LiveCD to HDD" feature, which
alas was missing. This was using a German made NetBSD 2.0 Live CD. It woul dhave
been nice as a 2 minute task to throw the OS on there with GUI, Sound and all
those trivial crap you might want on a laptop.

If it is a machine I will work on, I will naturally install manually, and build
up everything I want, but pkgadd, or pkgsrc, that goes from a 3 minute
boot-and-test to several-hours of download/compile-install task.

Anyway, The LiveCD was useful :)

Lund

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)