Subject: power use while suspended?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2006 18:37:29
I have a laptop (a Thinkpad T42) which seems to use a preposterous
amount of power while suspended.  For example, today the machine was
suspended for 2.5 hours; when I woke it up, the battery level was done
from 100% to 91%.  The machine was connected to line power during both
the suspend and the resume.

Some of the power presumably goes to maintaining memory state, and the
machine does have 2G of RAM.  Could that be the only explanation?  Is
everything that should be powered actually powered down?  (I do have
Wake on LAN disabled, which is necessary in any event.)  Will ACPI
suspend (or whatever it's called) help?  (I suppose I could try that
with Windows, but I don't normally run Windows for that long...)

I'm running a week-old -current, but this problem has been going on for
quite a while; I doubt it's release-specific.