Subject: Re: How do I properly add aliased IPs
To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2006 15:01:41
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 20:45:04 +0200, Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
wrote:

> Mark Saad --> netbsd-users (2006-04-04 14:06:21 -0400):
> > Jukka
> >   Thanks that worked . One thing I am not sure of is the message that
> > shows up when I restart networking, any ideas  ?
> >
> > # /etc/rc.d/network restart
> > Stopping network.
> > Deleting aliases.
> > ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Can't assign requested address
> > ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Can't assign requested address
> > ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Can't assign requested address
> > Downing network interfaces: fxp0.
>
> No, I can't reproduce this. Do you have a /etc/ifaliases? If yes, what
> does it contain?

My guess is that you got the messages the first time because it was
trying to delete addresses that didn't yet exist.  Now, they exist;
restarting the network can therefore successfully delete them.

Here's a test: change your variables to add a new address -- say, a
1918 address on a net you're not using -- and try the restart again.
If I'm right, you'll get one such message.