Subject: best practice for small LAN behind NAT
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2006 20:39:49
I have a question about best practices for a small LAN.  I have a NetBSD
box which connects to a cable modem and provides NAT service to a small
LAN on the other side.  The external network card is configured via
dhcp.  The internal network is currently fixed IP addresses.

So my question is whats considered the best practice for dealing with
DNS.  It seems I have several options

1)  just list the name servers in each machines resolv.conf but this
means I have to update them all when the ISP changes their DNS servers.

2)  run a caching name server on the NAT box (it runs off a read only
file system though with a very small MFS for /tmp) and have the internal
machines point there for DNS.  I think the NetBSD guide talks about how
to set this up.

3)  use IP forwarding on the NAT box to forward DNS requests to the real
servers

4)  convert the entire internal network to use dhcp although I wonder if
I'll have issues with NIS.  Can I use dhcp just to get name servers and
not IP addresses?

5)  ??

So anyone have suggestions as to what "best practices" procedures would
be here?

Thanks
-Dan