Subject: Re: Lynx in base system?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2006 13:34:41
On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 02:33:38AM -0600, Dave Huang wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 04:54:04PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > The reason is that NetBSD has NO OTHER WAY to manipulate files or
> > directories named with multibyte characters from the command line,
> > i.e., CUI.  Moving/renaming files is a breeze with Lynx.  Thus, Lynx
>
> What's wrong with mv? It works fine for me... I set the LC_CTYPE
> environment variable to en_US.UTF-8, if that makes any difference.

For me (NetBSD 1.6.1, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP) 'mv' will only work if
I know exactly what the name of the file is and enter the name
of the file within quotes.  This action is done "blindly" because
I know of no way to view the file.  Once the file is on the NetBSD
system (usually inadvertantly when I ftp files from a Windows machine
-- thus, sjis encoding), 'ls' shows such files as a sting of question
marks.  In rare cases, just doing 'ls' in a directory with such a file
will lock up the terminal completely forcing me to close the session
(file contains singlebyte katakana?).

One problem I have is that I still don't have X set up, so I access my
NetBSD machines with a terminal emulator (PuTTY or TeraTerm) running on
a Windows machine.  There is no *easy-to-read* fixed-width utf8 font
available for Windows that I know of.

Anyway, that's why I use Lynx; it does all the charset conversions
automatically.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/

P.S.  Thanks for your various help in the past, directly and indirectly.