Subject: Re: Lynx in base system?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/26/2006 23:16:34
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 01:34:41PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> For me (NetBSD 1.6.1, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP) 'mv' will only work if
> I know exactly what the name of the file is and enter the name
> of the file within quotes.  This action is done "blindly" because
> I know of no way to view the file.  Once the file is on the NetBSD
> system (usually inadvertantly when I ftp files from a Windows machine
> -- thus, sjis encoding), 'ls' shows such files as a sting of question
> marks.  In rare cases, just doing 'ls' in a directory with such a file
> will lock up the terminal completely forcing me to close the session
> (file contains singlebyte katakana?).

Ah, unfortunately, ls ignores LC_CTYPE when determining which
characters are printable and which should be replaced by a "?". You
can get it to skip the "?" replacement and just pass the bytes to the
terminal unchanged by using "ls -w"--that should get it to display the
sjis characters properly (assuming your terminal is also expecting
sjis). No idea about the terminal lockup though; it seems to me that
something must be buggy with the terminal emulator if it sending it
stuff can lock it up (even if it's stuff that it's not expecting).

> One problem I have is that I still don't have X set up, so I access my
> NetBSD machines with a terminal emulator (PuTTY or TeraTerm) running on
> a Windows machine.  There is no *easy-to-read* fixed-width utf8 font
> available for Windows that I know of.

Personally, I use Andale Mono most of the time, but it doesn't have
CJK characters. I use MS Mincho for Japanese and MingLiU for Chinese,
but I don't do CJK stuff often enough that I have much of an opinion
about their legibility.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 30 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++