Subject: Re: Lynx in base system?
To: <>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/26/2006 21:50:08
--------------enig388C7B5D596A5B8C9C72096A

claudio` wrote:
> I vote to NOT including lynx to the base system.
>=20
> Inlude it means have more code to check and more code on the CVS,
> this would take more time to check a thing that not is of general
> use at all. You could choose lynx, another prefer Mozilla or
> w3m (as me), etc.

   It's not about browser preference; I really don't care if it's lynx.
In fact, it's not really about browsing the 'net at all. It's meant as a
tool in order to be able to log in onto networks. You know, like dhcp is
used to acquire an address against a dhcpd.

   But I think this discussion has passed the inclusion of lynx in base.
I think most people realize that having access to lynx (or another
browser) post-install for making sure you can access the Internet and
read documentation is a Good Thing, but that it should be done in some
other manner than sticking it in base.

>Finally, i ask to myself: does'nt pkgsrc is good?
> Lynx don't take so time to compile, then use pkgsrc for it.

   Hm.. As I mentioned in my original post: The network I am connected
to requires https login in order to gain access to Internet. After
installing the base system, it's not possible to gain access to the
Internet on NetBSD on this particular network, afaik, unless you write
something yourself or use other means of getting https possibilities
(python, perl, etc).

   Without a login (for instance, a https-enabled browser), pkgsrc is
not relevant (since I can not get it, and even if I could, it would be
pointless since it won't be able to download the source code for the
packages).

> If you are looking for an alternative, please.. read something
> about syspkg.

   Again, I have already solved the problem. I had another system which
I could use to burn a CD with the binary Lynx package, and then mount it
in NetBSD, install it, login, and then start working. But the point is
that there may be others requiring http(s) to gain Internet access. And
had I not had the extra system, I would have had to find some other
means getting access to the Internet in order to be able to get lynx.

   I'm not interested in building a custom solution for myself. I'm
interested in people not having to sit there without an Internet
connection because of such a silly detail as not being able to perform a
http/https log in to a network which requires a login.

   If I were to vote for *myself*, I would vote for firefox. But it was
never about preferences, it was about a simple tool to get the job done.
I prefer a text-based tool, since there are systems out there without X.

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.