Subject: Re: Lynx in base system?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2006 08:53:12
One thing that is nice about NetBSD is that you can download a
relatively small amount of bits (base + etc + kernel) and try it
out.  If you want to build a firewall or similar minimal and/or
secure install you don't need to go through and remove a bunch of
stuff.  Therefore I'd suggest not putting a web browser in "base".

On the other hand, these days there are some utilities/apps
that should be there in a "full" install.  A web browser
(or 3).  Utilities to write CD/DVD media should be included,
as many people use these for backups.  A postscript/pdf viewer.

Just as there are tarballs for comp, X11, text, there could be
a tarball or 3 for this stuff.  Names such as net, network, inet,
web, desktop, multimedia come to mind.

Perhaps include all the small browsers (lynx, links, dillo, ...) some
utilities like wget, and one of the full-featured (big, slow, buggy)
browsers like Mozilla.  (suggestions of a smaller, faster, less buggy
browser that does https and java/javascript welcome!)

> I think a better option would be to link ftp with the included ssl,
> which would allow it to do https and ftps (bonus),

Has anyone looked at what it would take to get links to do https?

> If we added full recursion to ftp, it would also solve many problems.

Wget has recursion, does it do what you want?