Subject: Odd problem with playback on uaudio
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michiel Buddingh' <ajuin@stack.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2006 20:39:31
Hello,

I've encountered a rather baffling problem, and I wondered if I might draw
on the collective wisdom of netbsd-users in trying to solve it,

My external Soundblaster Live! 24-bit produces a distracting crack during
playback every three seconds or so.

The problem occurs with audioplay, ogg123 (oss or sun output), and most
audio applications that use OSS emulation.

However, the problem does not affect either mplayer or xine (both using
OSS).

Furthermore, when I hook the same device up to an identical USB controller
(a VIA VT83C572) on an AlphaServer 300 running NetBSD 2.0.2, the playback
is flawless, in any application.

So the problem seems isolated to NetBSD/i386 (2.0.2, 2.1.0 and 3.0.0),
with mplayer and xine somehow exempt.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?  Is anyone familiar enough with how
xine and mplayer handle audio output to suggest why they seem immune to the
problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice and insights,
--
		-- Michiel