Subject: Re: video cards
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2006 11:44:47
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 @ 17:32 -0700, Rick Kelly said:

> Paulo Aukar said:
>
> >You can find a complete list of supported video cards at http://www.xfree86.org (releases).
> > Paulo
>
> What I see there is a complete list of video chips that are used on cards
> supported by XFREE. When you buy a board in the store you have no idea what
> chip it has until you open it and look.

What boards do you find that don't say what chip they have?

Every time I see a box, or even see an ad online, they make it a point
to tell you which chip it has.

In fact, many times it is part of the name of the board, regardless of
brand.

In the world of video cards, the chipset used is a huge part of the marketing
blitz and bragging rights.

Now wireless cards... that's another story. They rarely put the chipset name
on the box.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [javalin: an unwieldy programming weapon used
to stab a software project through the heart until dead]