Subject: Re: NetBSD's swap partition ID
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2006 17:17:11
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:51:15AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> You can give the 169 partition only part of the disk, use a second for
> Linux (1 fs, whole system as is the custom), a third for Linux swap, and
> the fourth for freedos.   You can add then make the b partition in the
> netbsd disklabel refer to the linux swap partition.

I don't think Linux will like this.  IIRC, Linux swap partitions have to be
initialized ("formatted"?) using mkswap.  You will have to redo this
everytime NetBSD has written anything to this swap space.

NetBSD won't have this problem since it accepts any scratch block device
(or even a file) as swap space.  Hence you can share swap partitions
between multiple *BSD installs.

	Geert