Subject: AW: specifics of PostgreSQL superuser account
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
From: None <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2006 11:30:26

> I set up the PostgreSQL superuser account using vipw as I do for most
> daemons:
>
>   postgres:*:5555:5555::0:0:& pseudo-user:/var/pgsql/data:/sbin/nologin
>
> However, I get the warning:
>   # su - postgres
>   This account is currently not available.
>
> Does this user have to have a shell?  If so, which shell is best?

How did you install PostgreSQL? From pkgsrc? The pkgsrc packages
automatically add pgsql as user and group:

stefan@kusanagi$ groupinfo pgsql
name    pgsql
passwd  *
gid     1001
members pgsql
stefan@kusanagi$ userinfo pgsql
login   pgsql
passwd  *************
uid     1001
groups  pgsql
change  NEVER
class
gecos   PostgreSQL database administrator
dir     /usr/pkg/pgsql
shell   /bin/sh
expire  NEVER

> Is there a NetBSD-specific PostgreSQL manual or document page?

No one that I know of, however, PostgreSQL usually works perfectly from
pkgsrc.

HTH,
Stefan