Subject: trusting cvs & pkgsrc
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/15/2005 21:21:07
--------------enig8A7907B942BF2EA2B131DAD3

Hello all,

   On my NetBSD system, I have a user called "pkgsrc", with a home
directory /home/pkgsrc which is responsible for storing pkgsrc. I don't
find this to be optimal. I would prefer to keep pkgsrc in /usr/pkgsrc,
and have root own it.

   The reason I have created a pkgsrc user is because I don't trust cvs.
If it runs amok, I want to limits its possibilities to do damage.

   Now I'm setting up a new NetBSD system. On it, I would prefer to not
have a pkgsrc user. But I still don't trust cvs.

   Would it be possible to create a "jail" for sync:ing pkgsrc with
root? I haven't used chroot:ed jails, but I assume that they are for
doing what I want(?). Has anyone done what I want to do, and give some
pointers?

...or am I overly paranoid for not trusting cvs?

   I love the "least possible rights" philisophy, and sync:ing pkgsrc
really doesn't require root privileges.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson