Subject: Re: UPnP Support?
To: Christopher W. Richardson <cwr@nexthop.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/2005 12:44:04
--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:52:40AM -0500, Christopher W. Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
~~~~~~
> Well, I can't find anything under pkgsrc, and, in fact, searching
> the mailing lists and netbsd.org doesn't turn up anything
> particularly insightful under UPnP.  I even tried searching for
> "plug play mediaserver", and got nothing.
>=20
> So, unbelieving that no one has done this in NetBSD, I've come to

I'm more of the type to use things like an old Pentium box running MPD
reading things out of NFS.  I don't have a very high opinion of UPnP.

> the conclusion that I must be searching for the wrong thing.  The
> questions, then, are
>=20
>         1) What sort of device do I need to get, which is
>            preferrably small (I'm not looking for a stereo
>            component, and certainly not for a PC), supports
>            802.11, has the appropriate ports to connect to (at
>            least) a stereo and ideally to video, and to which I
>            can stream such data?

It appears that most of these devices use UPnP so there's a good=20
likely hood that they'll work with a UPnP server.

>         2) For what should I be searching in pkgsrc to stream to
>            whatever the answer to question #1 is?

I found uShare and GMediaStreamer by searching for "UPnP media Linux
server GPL" on Google. GMediaServer has a (3rd party) FreeBSD package
so it has a good chance of compiling on NetBSD.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--