Subject: Re: time of shutdown / power-loss
To: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
From: Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/30/2005 11:13:20
--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

Also sprach Petar Bogdanovic (p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net)
> which is the most elegant way to get the time of the last=20
> system-shutdown / power loss?

You can use logger(1) to writes sth. to syslog. I have a simple
heartbeat shellskript on my servers that is started from /etc/rc.local:

while true=20
do
logger "uptime:  `uptime`"
sleep 600
done

so every ten minutes `uptime` is written to /var/log/messages:

stefan@wieland {20} tail -n 1 /var/log/messages
Nov 30 11:09:05 wieland stefan: uptime 11:09AM  up  1:30, 5 users,
load averages: 0.58, 0.54, 0.50
stefan@wieland {21}=20

You can adjust the sleep command to get a smaller interval, but IMO 10
minutes is sufficient. When I had a problem with one machine (was
defunct RAM) I also added `ps -ax` to the logger command, to get a
snapshot of running processes.

I am using logger since the logs are rotated and compressed, in the
first version I simply used "> uplog.txt", which than grew to much.

--=20
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--=20
Der Geist des Kriegers sollte mit Beginn des Neujahrstages bis zum Ende=20
des Jahres vom Gedanken an seinen Tod beherrscht werden.

Daijouji Shigesuke in "Budo Shoshin Shuu"

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--