Subject: fdesc file system?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/23/2005 11:06:50
I'm curious about the fdesc filesystem, which creates files in /dev/fd
as well as symlinks for /dev/std{in,out,err}. I have a 2.0.2 system
which appears to have /dev/std* and a populated /dev/fd yet I don't
think I've ever tried to mount the fdesc filesystem over /dev

MAKEDEV seems to create these entries if fdesc isn't mounted ... given
that that's the case, why would we need the filesystem type? What does
it provide that character-special files in a simple directory structure
doesn't?

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank