Subject: Re: Inquiry on WM behaviour on NetBSD 3.0 Beta
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/20/2005 21:20:17
Hi Mr. Bouyer!

My current setup is a client PC, IBM R51 with an Intel Pro/1000 MT mobile
connection and a Dell 2800 with i82541GI 1000 BASET Ethernet rev. 5 card.

To be sure I tried several possible scenarios. Ifconfig.wm0 was configured
with media auto select and tried transferring 2 iso files with sizes of
369MB and 582MB respectively:

1) Both units connected to a 3com Superstack II Dual Speed Hub. Showing
and ifconfig -a result with (100base TX).

2) Both units connected to a D-Link Fast Ethernet switch (DES-1016D).
Showing an ifcofig -a result with (100 baseTX full-duplex, flow control,rx
pause, tx pause).

3) Both units connected directly using a cross connect cable. Showing an
ifcofig -a result with (1000 baseT full-duplex, flow control,rx pause, tx
pause).

To be sure, I crimped fresh CAT5e cables using T568A and T568B wiring
standards. Also, vendor supplied CAT5 cables both straight-through and
cross connect cables. Further, I isolated the network cables from any
power cords to rule out the possibility of EMI.

All three setups yeilded the same results. With error messages appearing
on the test server's console "wm0: discarding oversize frame (len=-4)".

I do get these messages often. Specially, on large file transfers more
than 300 MB of data.

I tried to do md5 and sha1 checksums and had no inconsistencies. I haven't
experienced any errors yet but I'm not sure if this is safe and be
deployed on production with 200+ plus connected clients being served on a
24x7x365 basis.

Warm Regards,

Joseph