Subject: Re: Screen capture to animated gif
To: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/17/2005 10:55:13
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Mark Thomas wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to capture all user activity ( keyboard/mouse )
> in X to a animated GIF. For example, creating a training video on how
> to use The Gimp. I've looked through the pkgsrc but nothing jumped out
> at me. Not even sure if this can be done! I'll even take a two step
> process if I have to. Anyone doing this now?

I have used pkgsrc/x11/xvidcap and pkgsrc/x11/xvidcap-gtk2 to create
screen capture videos. From the description:

   xvidcap is a tool (like Lotus ScreenCam and Camtasia) that captures
   movement on a selected area of an X11 screen to files. Frame output
   formats include: XWD, PPM, PNG, MNG, JPEG and MPEG.

Or you may want to try pkgsrc/graphics/vnc2swf -- I have not used it yet,
but it "captures live motion of a screen through VNC protocol and converts
it a Macromedia Flash(TM) movie (.swf)".

As for an animated GIF, I am not sure.

I would like to hear your experiences on how this project goes for you.
Please let us know.

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/