Subject: lpd and dhcpd = problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.ru.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/2005 23:02:57
--llIrKcgUOe3dCx0c

Hi list,

My server runs dhcpd and lpd.  Printing works from a (NetBSD) desktop with
a static IP and matching line in /etc/hosts.

Now I would like to print from a (OS X) laptop with dynamic IP to the
server.  I don't get an error or output, and when I post my first job, lpq
tells me that the printer is not ready.  When I telnet to port 515 from the
laptop, I get the following error:
/usr/sbin/lpd: Host name for your address (192.168.0.64) unknown

After a bit of googling, I found out that lpd requires a reverse DNS lookup
to resolve correctly before it will allow a host to print.  (this is not
documented in the lpd manpage)  And indeed, assigning a static IP to the
machine with a hostname in /etc/hosts fixes the problem.

Is there a way to make lpd and dhcpd play nice together so arbitrary hosts
can be added to the network and allowed to print?  (WITHOUT installing CUPS
or LPRng)

Why does it require a DNS lookup to work correctly?  It would appear to me
that this could rather easily be spoofed anyway.

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://www.student.ru.nl/peter.bex