Subject: Re: ext2 support
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Witzmann <stephane.witzmann@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/30/2005 17:37:33
Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <dk2b2l$1ip$1@sea.gmane.org>,
> Stéphane Witzmann  <stephane.witzmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>After creating then almost filling a 160GB ext2 partition under NetBSD, I
>>ran fsck on it. It says "filesystem contains large files but lacks
>>LARGE_FILE flag in superblock; fix y/n ?". As far as I know, the partition
>>is not readable on NetBSD if this flag is set. So, it is ok to say no ?
>>Since I used NetBSD to copy the data, it would probably have told me if
>>something was wrong. I mean I don't have large files for which ext2
>>doesn't work unless the flag is turned on... or so I hope.
>
> Setting the large flag only works with 3.0 and current I think.
>
>>So here is question 1 : is the data (it is my backup, I'm trying ext2 so
>>that I can also read it on Linux or Windows [there is a driver, which I am
>>gonna try soon]) safe or not ?
>>
>>Now question 2 : every time I fscked this ext2 partition (even before I
>>put any data on it), the system hung up soon after fsck returned. The
>>first time, it hung up when I synced, and right now (after copying the
>>data) I could sync but mount didn't return.
>>
>>$ fsck.ext2 -f /dev/wd1e
>>$ sync
>>$ mount
>>/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (soft dependencies, local)
>>/dev/wdoe on /home type ffs (soft dependencies, local)
>>kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
>>
>>At this point, I can type stuff but not switch to another tty.
>>This is not a permanent hangup, the system seems to go back to normal a
>>few minutes later.
>
> It can take some time to mount a large fs. If you do ps -xl at that time,
> what wait channel is the mount process stuck on?
>
> christos

I have no way of knowing it, since I can't switch to another terminal. This
time it hung up a little sooner, before I pressed enter after typing
"sync". I also tried with ssh but the connection freezed and I couldn't
open another, the machine doesn't even respond to ping. About 10 minutes
later, it unfreezed. I don't have DIAGNOSTIC or DEBUG enabled in the
kernel, and it didn't say anything.

Stéphane Witzmann