Subject: Re: X server freezes when doing cvs up or untarring large files
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/28/2005 13:10:12
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 12:32:29PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >
> > Tuning... This has been up before. The default tuning allows too much
> > memory be used for disk buffers and disk cache, making applications (such
> > as X) suffer.
>
> So what should I do about it?  Some sysctls to mess with?

Yes. Unfortunately, my machine where I had to deal with this is not
accessible online so I cannot check what parameters I tuned. However, this
should also be in the archives, if you look about a year back.

> And then why do I experience this problem the most on high-memory machines?

I think it's a question of how the defaults are set, which depend on the
resources available.

	Johnny