Subject: Re: [Dell PowerEdge 350] I2O support in NetBSD
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/14/2005 17:08:26
In message <20051014142507.GA26783@panix.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 01:57:06PM +0200, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> >
> > I suspect that there are some problems related with the machine
> > itself.  Perhaps it has not implemented ACPI as it should.  I asked
> > on a Dell community forum about I2O support.  From the specs I see
> > that this server is "I2O ready", but I am not sure what "ready" means.
>
> I don't think this machine actually includes an IOP.  If it doesn't
> show up on any PCI bus, even with ACPI_ACTIVATE_DEV and MPACPI_SCANPCI
> turned on, I think it's just not there.

Hi Thor.

I agree with you and Manuel.  I hope that someone at the Dell community
forum will provide some feedback on this issue, but I certainly agree
with you on this matter.  If MPACPI_SCANPCI and ACPI_ACTIVATE_DEV do
not show I2O processors there are probably no processors in the base
system.  Perhaps a PERC controller is required for I2O.

To be honest, I really prefer these processors not included in the
system to the other possibility (included but not detected by
NetBSD).

I will try to debug ACPI in the next months.  Perhaps NetBSD 3
will improve power management support on this server (if I am
not wrong, a few months old release of ACPI CA will be included
in 3.0; it will be a good chance to enable this feature again).

If it works with this system, I will provide some feedback on this
mailing list for people running NetBSD on this nice server.
Certainly, ACPI will improve this system.  As it is a headless
server, a clean shut down when pressing the power button is a
desiderable feature.  Thermal sensors monitoring is a good
feature too.

Cheers,
Igor.