Subject: Re: "XML::Parser perl module..."
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/13/2005 08:39:37
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I had upgraded perl yesterday on the same system as something required a newer
> perl. (And I didn't take the time to reinstall everything on thi8s
> non-production system, so I probably did a pkg_delete -f.)
>
> My XML::Parser was at
> /usr/pkg/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-netbsd/XML/Parser.pm

Upgrading from a perl with this path layout implies "rebuild all your perl
modules".  That's why every single p5-* PKGREVISION in the whole pkgsrc tree
was bumped.  (The change requiring this rebuild was specificlly to make it
possible *not* to require rebuilds on perl version bumps in the future.)

This makes me think, however, that we may want to make the minimum
PERL5_REQD be the actual package version where this change happened.  That
will force proper upgrading of all p5-* modules as well as perl itself.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>