Subject: Re: Help - don't understand SATA!
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Petar Bogdanovic <p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2005 11:23:03
Matthias Scheler wrote:
>> Except that the 3ware management tools are not up to scratch in NetBSD.
>
> There are no tools available for icp(4) unfortunately. But I don't mind
> that very much because replacing a faulty disk will require shutting down
> the server anyway. And when I power it up again I can use the BIOS to
> to start a rebuild of the RAID and boot NetBSD afterwards.

What exactly are the advantages of these tools? I mean, if I have 'real'
  hardware RAID, in case of a disk failure I just need an information
from the driver and I'll hot-swap the disk. Why is a shutdown needed in
the case of nonexisting tools? Real RAID-hardware should resync with no
argument.. or did I get this wrong?

Kind regards,

Petar