Subject: Re: Suggested NetBSD version for 486 install
To: Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/28/2005 20:00:34
On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 07:50:22AM +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi, Andy,
>
> You say : "Then again, most people have the ability to build from
> another machine."
>
> Iàm not sure this is really the case. NetBSD isn't a "geek and developer
> only OS". Not everybody has machines to spare with dual boots and all.
> Most of the time, they have one spare machine on which they plan to
> install a small OS. NetBSD is a good choice... but they still only might
> have one machine... which is their target machine.

Last time I tried, cross-building a NetBSD kernel using build.sh works from
linux, Darwin and Solaris. It should also work from windows with cygwin or
interix (but I've never tried those, staying away from windows as much as
I can :) So building a custom kernel shouldn't be much of a problem.
You don't need another NetBSD box, just another box :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>