Subject: Re: Raid1 Disk Failure - Diagnosing/Repairing and/or Replacing disk
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: None <yancm@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/16/2005 13:30:45
Thanks Patrick!

It hurts me to be a poster child for RTFM! Seriously, though...when
did THEY start putting useful examples in the man pages? 8-)

The question this does not address is how to (or can I) diagnose/repair
a "failed" status disk. Is this just a bad sector error or did it
stop spinning? Is there any way to attempt to repair it without putting in
a working spare first?

Is there some way to use fsck? I cannot apply fsck directly to /dev/wd0a
- it says it is an invalid type.

I tried:

raidctl -R /dev/wd0a raid0

Seems to have locked my system...8-/....at least through my
telnet connection from work.

I'll see if it's accessible when I get home.

Thanks,
gene