Subject: Re: seriousness of this Project
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/06/2005 17:09:10
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Zafer Aydogan wrote:

> sometimes I doubt the seriousness of the NetBSD Project.
> Whenever I enter the NetBSD Website, trying to get some Information, I
> only find hopelessly outdated Documents.
> For Example: FAQ's or the Guides, Mirrors or the Languages.
> Whenever I sweep over the NetBSD Websites, I find dead links, mispellings  ,
> errors, outdated Documents.
> So, I use or use the Feedback Form to inform.
> I also noticed that Rui seems to be all alone with this within the other
> stuff he's managing.
> I see the Kernel Developers making progress everyday and fixing bugs very
> fast. I see the pkgsrc developers making much more progress, fixing,
> updating almost hourly everyday.
>
> But why are the Websites, that represent NetBSD so hopelessly neglected ?

The different parts of NetBSD are mostly done by volunteers based on their
interests and time. A few developers are paid (by their employers) for
their specific NetBSD coding contributions.

There is a www team. They do updates. There is also a weekly rotation for
providing feedback to the feedback form, www@ emails and update requests.
(Rui is not all alone.) It has been doing a great job as I have
participated and watched it for the past 15 months.

But as far as I know, we don't have anyone who actively scans the website
for dead links, mispellings, outdated documents, mispellings, etc.

Any volunteers to help can do like you are doing: send feedback to www@.

If you have any ideas for improvement let us know. If you have any ideas
on how to better organize our time for improving the website, let us know.

  Jeremy C. Reed ... speaking for myself :)