Subject: Re: permissions & rc.conf
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@gmx.de>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2005 12:29:45
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 03:33:59AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> In article <430A6FD9.4060501@gmail.com> you wrote:
> >    I would like to store some sensitive information in rc.conf (login
> > information) which should not be readable by anyone but root:wheel. I
> > noticed that rc.conf has rx set for everyone. Is this required, or can I
> > clear them without breaking something?
>
> Try & see. ;-)
> As an alternative, you can put the config for yourservice into
> /etc/rc.onf.d/myservice, and chmod that mode 700.

Make that /etc/rc.conf/d/myservice and it might work. ;-)

As an alternative, since rc.conf is parsed as a shell script, you could
make it include other files with stricter permissions, and keep your
rc.conf permissions as they were.

But actually I think you can safely lower the permissions of rc.conf
itself, as only init should be able to read it (correct me if I'm wrong?).

Try it and tell us. :-)

GH