Subject: Re: Firefox plugins
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/20/2005 12:56:16
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 01:52:25PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > If you have access to another NetBSD machine which runs a XFree86 4.5.0
> > based server you try to prove or disprove my theory. Simply run Firefox
> > on your HP laptop using the other NetBSD machine as the display server
> > (e.g. by using "ssh -X hostname-of-hp-laptop"). If Firefox works with
> > that setup it's a compatibility problem with the Xorg server.
> I tried that, and it doesn't work either.

Interesting.

> If it's an xorg-vs-xfree86 problem, I rather expect problems with
> the libraries than with the server.

"firefox-bin" does *not* use the Xorg libraries. It uses the X11 libraries
from the "suse91_x11" package which are XFree86 4.3.99 based. If a setup
with a XFree86 4.5.0 server doesn not work the problem is not caused by
an XFree86 vs. Xorg compatibility problem.

What kind of machine is your HP Laptop? Both of my NetBSD-i386 systems
are Pentium IV with lots of memory.

What kernel configuration do you use on that notebook?

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/