Subject: RE: I've just installed xorg, now what...
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/25/2005 23:01:07
Well XFree86 was one, OpenSSH and OpenSSL are others, but the dangers in
doing what I was asking are a bit clearer now.  I'm not sure what's more
awkward though, having two version of the same software installed on a
system, and having to tinker with configurations to get things to use the
version you want (the upgraded version), or to upgrade existing software
where it's installed and risk having it "downgraded" with a new system
upgrade.

Couldn't (future tense) NetBSD's install procedure (i.e. upgrade procedure)
do something similar to a pkg_info to check for software installed, and the
version level and not install older software over what's already there?

-Robert