Subject: Re: vi and xterm
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Mike Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/30/2005 13:15:21
On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 07:22:06PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems this is a quite common area of problems, but I couldn't find
> a solution to the problem I have.
>
> I have a telnetd on a NetBSD 3.0_BETA system with source dated from
> Jun 15 2005.
>
> Using the telnet client from a NetBSD 2.0_STABLE system inside an
> xterm results in broken cursor keys inside vi. Instead of moving the
> cursor they start insert mode and insert a letter (A, B, C, D for up,
> down, right, left) and a new line.
>
> Anything else seems the be fine. Cursor keys are working at the shell,
> in more etc. I have a tset line in my .profile, it has selected xterm
> as term type.
>
> When telnetting from the same box, but in a wscons console, to
> the same account I get vt220 as term type and all including vi is
> fine. When using vi locally on that machine it also works. From a
> different machine I get ansi term type and also everything is fine.
>
> Any ideas on fixing that?  The server machine has no X sets installed,
> could the problem possibly be related to that?

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but I ran into this
(inconsistant interpretation of cursor key input over varying TERMs,
login methods, etc) years ago and just got into the habbit of using vi's
movement keys (hjkl) rather than the cursor keys.  They will *always*
work. =)

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org