Subject: Re: To obtain more inodes
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Rub=E9n_Gonz=E1lez_Arnau?= <rga@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/29/2005 21:11:38
Rubén González Arnau wrote:
[ ... ]
> Filesystem  1M-blocks     Used     Avail Capacity  iused    ifree
> %iused  Mounted on
> /dev/wd0a     497M      36M      436M     7%     2344   124374     1%
> /
> /dev/wd0f     497M      16M      456M     3%   126687       31    99% /var
>
> Well, I need more inodes in /var, is mandatory to format the partiton?
>
> Someone can say me a good value of inodes via newfs -n ?
> The partion has 512MB with FFS.

You might want to take a look around through /var, and/or reboot the system to
clear up any deleted files which are still being held open by some process.  In
particular, check in /var/spool/mqueue and similiar places for old, junk spool
files and such which can be removed.

Otherwise, yes, it is manadatory to reformat (ie, run newfs) to change the
number of inodes on the partition.  If you run "newfs -N", I believe, it will
display the parameters it would use to build the filesystem.  Divide the -i
parameter by 3 or 4, and that ought to result in a better value for your
particular usage patterns.

--
-Chuck