Subject: [Grub][i386] Serial console?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sylvain Briole <sbriole.mls@free.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2005 11:23:12
Hi all,

After my USB question, a second one about Grub boot loader on i386 platform.
I am used to this kind of bootloader in Linux world, and not so good to NetBSD
bootloader.
I have a server without any display, with the only possibility to display boot
messages/console on com0.
When I set up NetBSD 2.0.2 install, I have said that I would like the console on
com0 9600 bps. It works perfectly.
I have 2 main MBR partitions on this box : one "default", one "rescue" for
rescue purposes.
I would like to user Grub as boot loader/manager instead of NetBSD original's
one.

I have installed it from the last PKG current binary source, and configured it
like this :

grub-install '(hd0)'

And then /grub/menu.lst :

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal serial

timeout 10
default 0
fallback 2

title default1
   root (hd0,0,a)
   chainloader +1

title default2
   root (hd0,0,a)
   kernel --type=netbsd /netbsd

title rescue
   root (hd0,4)
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda5 console=ttyS0,9600n8

At the boot, the GRUB menu displays correctly. When I choose :
- the 1st item (default1) : GRUB calls NetBSD bootloader, waits for booting (the
10 default seconds), and then boot NetBSD with serial console output
- the 2nd item (default2) : GRUB boots directly NetBSD, without any console
output
- the 3rd item (rescue) : GRUB boots Linux, with console output

AFAIK, it is not possible to say GRUB to pass any option (like Linux "console="
parameter) directly to NetBSD kernel, to say that it musts use com0 as console.

Is there anyway somewhere a patch for it?
Or any other possibility?
I would like to suppress the "default1" entry, and would like to have "default2"
to boot NetBSD *with* console output/input on com0.

Is there somewhere another bootloader which could have the same behaviour as
NetBSD's one, but with a "fancier output" (menu, which could be used with arrow
keys)?

I thank you in advance for any tip!

Sylvain.