Subject: Re: [New to NetBSD] USB mass-storage hotplug?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2005 13:05:42
Am 24.06.2005 um 12:19 Uhr +0300 schrieb Jukka Marin:
>  > There is no daemon in NetBSD that handles USB hot-plugging events,
>>  afaik.
>
>I wrote a prg which polls for a given USB device and executes a script
>when the device is plugged in or out.  The problem is that this prg can
>cause a kernel panic under 2.0.2 - I think there must be a race condition
>which causes the panic if the USB devices are polled at the "wrong" time
>(exactly at the moment when a new device is being attached, probably).

Uh. Did you try with a build from the netbsd-2 branch? From where I
stand there is no good reason to stick with netbsd-2-0 unless you're
in a production environment, since it sees almost no bug fixes.

Actually, some instance of hotplugd is sorely missing from NetBSD.
Probably the most frequent complaint from students ("...sooo much
easier on Windows!") using our lab machines concerns mass media
handling (USB memory sticks, floppies).

How about pkg'ing the program and putting it on pkgsrc-wip?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik