Subject: Re: i386 booting into RAID?
To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2005.salmi.ch>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/2005 11:01:09
On 22 Jun 2005, at 20:31, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> Cameron Patrick --> netbsd-users (2005-06-22 18:22:39 +0800):
>> Malcolm Herbert wrote:
>>> I'm putting together a system with two internal disks in a mirror
>>> configuration and I'd like to do away with the need to have the extra
>>> small slice to house the kernel outside the RAID device.
>>
>> Erm, doesn't this work anyway without jumping through hoops?  I've
>> never tried it, but the raidctl man page claims that the bootloader
>> can read a kernel straight from a raid1 set.
>
> Yes, it does. This is [1]documented in the NetBSD guide, too.
>
> [1] http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rf.html#chap-rf-ex-raid1root

hmmm ... last time I set up a RAID1 disk array was with 1.6.something
and the only way to do it on i386 was with the extra partition to hold
the kernel ... I did take a look at the Guide before posting, however
because it didn't match my preconception of what was needed to be done
I couldn't make sense of it and ignored it ... *sigh* ...

still, apart from playing fast and loose with the disklabel on wd0 it
should still work the way I outlined it earlier, right?  turned out
somewhere along the line I'd managed to screw up the MBR on the disk
which was why the BIOS was having Issues ...

--
Malcolm Herbert
Computer Support Officer