Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD experiences and help wanted
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/21/2005 22:29:17
Spending a lot of resources on desktop install environments really
takes focus away from real enterprise needs, such as unattended
installs, net-installs, etc.

However, the game of judging linux distros by their installers is a
difficult one to avoid once you get started, so maybe a flashy
installer for NetBSD would be a good idea just from an advocacy
standpoint.

It's not like the windows nt installers were very pretty.  :)

>   Currently (at least last time I checked) sysinst does not do much and
> uses the standard tools for most of the work.  It is already quite
> possible to entirely ignore sysinst (I haven't used it for a long time an=
> never miss it).  Fdisk is a good example of my point (if it still works
> the way it used to): the disk is partitioned with fdisk, but sysinst has =
> separate interface to it.  The standard interface is not that bad, but if
> a different interface is desired for install, then it is almost certainly
> useful in other situations as well.  IMO, the "installer" should just be =
> document, not a separate program.
>=20
> Matthew Orgass
> darkstar@city-net.com