Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD experiences and help wanted
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
From: Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin@texoma.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/21/2005 14:16:47
Matthew Orgass wrote:
> On 2005-06-21 jhouchin@texoma.net wrote:
>
>>Now I think it would be absolutely wonderful if NetBSD could (did) offer
>>the pleasant install that Ubuntu offers. It is not a "graphical"
>>installer. Ncurses I believe. It does require some knowledge, but it is
>>a pleasant experience. And the installer takes care of much of the work.
>>
>>Are the BSDs moving that direction? Will the BSDs ever compete with
>>Linux in that arena? Is there a desire to? A nice process from pop in
>>the CD to a Gnome/XFCE4 or somesuch login screen would be very sweet.
>
>   I wish NetBSD would go the other direction.  There is really nothing you
> do in an install that is never done at other times and there are very few
> steps necessary to get a system that boots to single user.  Time spent on
> systinst would, IMO, be better spent working on the real tools and turn
> sysinst into a basic shell script or eliminate it entirely.

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

Your wanting a system that does enough of an install for you to boot off
the hard disk. From there you use better, normal or real tools in order
to create the system you seek? Is that a reasonable assessment?

If so, I don't think we are necessarily in disagreement. The process I
spoke of wanting above did not necessarily require that the majority of
it take place from a CD boot, but more importantly be relatively
friendly towards going from popping in the CD to being at a login screen
for your favorite WM/DesktopEnvironment.

If the majority of that process took place on or from the hard drive,
that would be fine. If it used the same tools you would later use to
install and administer other apps, that would be great!

I don't know how NetBSD operates yet. But with a Debian/Ubuntu install
it would be like going from CD to a minimal hard disk install. Boot off
the disk. Go straight into a user admin tool and then to apt-get
(command-line) or synaptic (gnome) to install the desired apps.

But basically something that enabled a good install for a reasonably
able user. I don't think most computer users should be able to install
an OS. MS might disagree, but then look at the mess they've made of
things. :)

Jimmie