Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD experiences and help wanted
To: Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin@texoma.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/21/2005 11:19:05
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Now I think it would be absolutely wonderful if NetBSD could (did) offer
> the pleasant install that Ubuntu offers. It is not a "graphical"
> installer. Ncurses I believe. It does require some knowledge, but it is
> a pleasant experience. And the installer takes care of much of the work.
>
> Are the BSDs moving that direction? Will the BSDs ever compete with
> Linux in that arena? Is there a desire to? A nice process from pop in
> the CD to a Gnome/XFCE4 or somesuch login screen would be very sweet.

See the http://www.bsdinstaller.org/ work. I have used it with the ncurses
interface and it was okay.

But now it has fdisk editor and more.

And it has Qt front-end in work also. And a HTML/CSS/CGI front-end too.

Now we need to spend some time using it with NetBSD also. I believe there
was a Google Summer of Code proposal to do this type of work.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/