Subject: unprivileged account and creation of filesystem images
To: 'netbsd-users@netbsd.org' <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/20/2005 13:58:11
hello,

  I'm on the hunt for an sys-administrative handling procedure
for following scenario:

  developers each have an account on a machine on which they
edit source code and compile and link it to binaries for theyr
respective target platforms, some conventional and some embedded
  of course the accounts are not privileged

  when it comes to pack the binary files onto distribution media,
the guy in charge constructs a master directory tree containing
all the files to be distribute and with root privileges he sets
the uid/gids and permission bits, finally the master directory
tree gets packed up into a fs image of the appropriate type
(e.g. iso9660 ) and becomes production-ready

  I want to get rid of the need of these accounts for root
privileges, but have not found a way so far...

  I like the way of the utility mkfs.jffs2 (builds filesystems
especially suitable for flash memory), it's option -D or
--devtable=FILE allows to specify a control file wherein all
metadata for the files in the fs image can be written
  unfortunately there seems to be no equivalent option for mkisofs

  I'd like to hear about approaches other people (would) use - thanks

Stephan