Subject: Install on to usb memory stick? [Was: Install from usb memory
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Smith <smithm@netapps.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/17/2005 04:57:08
Here is a somewhat related question.

I have a USB memory storage device with a built in MP3 player. These
devices are commonly bought from swap meets here in Australia for 60-100
AUD depending on capacity. It has a menu option to upgrade firmware from
a file, so theoretically the firmware could be replaced by something
else.

Could NetBSD be installed to actually run on a device like this? I
already have one opinion suggesting that the answer is no: the MP3
decoder is implemented in hardware and the CPU is too small to run BSD.
But I am still interested in any other ideas on the subject.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications